This is the crime summary for the month of May 2015 for the parishes of:
Ashmansworth, East Woodhay, Highclere, Burghclere, Newtown, Litchfield, Ecchinswell & Sydmonton and St Mary Bourne & Stoke.
Total Crimes reported – 25
House Burglary – 1
Criminal Damage – 2
Burglary other than a Dwelling – 5
Theft from Vehicles – 3
Theft of a Vehicle -1
Other Theft – 4
Other Crime – 9
The current Neighbourhood Policing Priorities for the Basingstoke and Deane District are…
- We have received one report of a burglary this month, I am not at liberty to discuss the full circumstances however this is not a fully confirmed break at this time.
Non Dwelling Burglaries
- We continue to see a large number of non-dwelling burglaries across the area, especially along the border with West Berkshire.
- Thames Valley police are experiencing similar problems and a joint force strategy is in place to target criminals. Patrols are targeted to specific locations, drivers of 4×4 vehicles, those towing trailers and driving work vans should anticipate that they may be stopped by officers patrolling in the area particularly outside of normal working hours.
- The primary targets for thieves are sheds and garages with some business premises also being targeted. Power tools remain the number one stolen item, along with trailers and vehicles including quad bikes, 4x4s and buggies.
- Ensure that your shed is locked and alarmed and please note serial numbers of all items and consider registering these on www.immobilise.com.
- Officers have been targeting speeders in numerous locations across the rural area. This month PCs have issued 3 tickets on the Ball Hill road for excess speed and one for use of a mobile phone whilst operating a vehicle.
- Speedwatch continues in Woolton Hill and some members of East Woodhay parish have expressed an interest in extending this to Ball Hill, we would like to hear from anyone who is interested in volunteering in this area for one or two hours a month to enable this to happen. Three volunteers must be present at each deployment.
- If you are concerned about speeding or traffic issues please address this with your local parish council. Parish councils can make us aware of places in need of speed enforcement and these can then be added to our approved list of sites for enforcement. They can also assist in the process of improving traffic calming measures, traffic calming is the responsibility of Hampshire Highways.
Incidents of note
- 04/05/2015 – Burghclere Sports and Social Club – Overnight the Sports and Social Club was entered by unknown offenders. They stole cash and targeted the cigarette machine. A vehicle used by offenders may have been a Subaru forester. Please call 101 with information quoting 44150149634
- 04/05/2015 – 05/05/2015 – Litchfield – A shed was entered on farm land, a quad bike was stolen from within.
- 08/05/2015 – 10/05/2015 – Lower Wyke – Offenders unknown have forced entry to a works van parked in Lower Wyke, they have carried out an untidy search of the vehicle but nothing appears to have been stolen.
- 13/05/2015 – Theft – Sydmonton – At approximately 12.10 a gardener placed his strimmer against a wall, leaving it unattended whilst using a mower. An unknown person in a Silver Peugeot 307 or 308 has been seen to watch the area, shortly after a male has appeared from the direction of the Peugeot and stolen the strimmer.
- 14/05/2015 – Highclere – Unknown offender has attempted to drive off with a mini digger in Westridge, by loading it on to a trailer, the offender was driving a 4×4 in blue.
- 20/05/2015 - Burghclere Crime Series
Overnight a Burglary occurred from a garage on Harts Lane, Burghclere. Several power tools were taken from the garage, this is likely to have happened at approximately 03.45.
Several hours later a known male was seen removing items from skips and loading them in to a Blue VW Golf. Officers located the male and searched his vehicle. Unfortunately the officers were unable to confirm any offences at that time and were unable to arrest the male. Following this two more incidents of theft have been reported from the area.
Enquiries are ongoing to gather witness statements and CCTV etc. We would still be interested to hear from anyone with information relating to these incidents. Call 101 and quote 44150169102.
- 31/05/2015 – Unknown offender has stolen two strimmers from a trailer attached to vehicle parked in Ecchinswell Village hall car park. This occurred between 10:00 and 11:00. If anyone has witnessed this event please contact police and quote 44150183162.
Hampshire constabulary appeals
There are current appeals throughout the force area that may be of interest to you. They are updated regularly. Please take a look via the following link.
If you have any information regarding any of the incidents detailed in this update please contact us either by email or calling 101
If you know someone who is involved in criminal activity, have information relating to crimes that have occurred, but you do not want to call police directly.. Then please visit https://crimestoppers-uk.org/ or call 0800 555 111. This is a free and anonymous service.