Police & Crime
This is the crime summary for the month of June for the parishes of:
Ashmansworth, East Woodhay, Highclere, Burghclere, Newtown, Litchfield, Ecchinswell & Sydmonton.
Total Crimes reported – 15
House Burglary – 0
Criminal Damage – 2
Thefts from sheds and outbuildings – 5
Theft from Vehicles – 1 +2 recorded as non-theft but possible attempt
Other Theft – 2
Other Crime – 3
The community Policing priorities for this area are:-
Prevent thefts from garages, sheds and outbuildings (including theft of metal)
- 25/05/14 – 05/06/14 – Woolton Lodge Gardens – Shed entered and lawnmower taken.
- 09/06/14 – Penwood – Business premises targeted by offenders at approximately 01:00 hours. Offenders disturbed and nothing taken.
- 06/06/14 – 14/06/14 – Mill Lane, Ecchinswell – Garden Shed entered, strimmer taken from within. A lawnmower was also stolen from the car port.
- 19/06/14 – East Woodhay – 02:00 hours – Offenders drove off road to gain entry to the grounds of a property. Attempted to burgle from storage shed, but offenders disturbed and nothing taken.
- 19/06/14 – North End – Overnight offenders have attempted to force entry to a barn. No entry gained, nothing taken.
Reduce anti-social behaviour across the beat area
- 21/06/14 – Ecchinswell/Sydmonton – Reports were received about a noise nuisance in the area, Callers believed there may be an illegal rave taking place in nearby fields. Officers established that there was a private party being held at a nearby property.
- 20/06/14 – Woolton Hill – Police were called following reports of underage youths having a party at an address in Harwood Rise. On arrival many youths had left, leaving a small group clearing up. A number of people had arrived uninvited and the party had got out of hand. Abbey spent some time in the village ensuring that the teenagers got home or to a place of safety and were not causing a nuisance for others in the village.
- Bishops Green – Throughout June we have received several reports of a nuisance scooter in Bishops Green. The rider is known to the police and has been given advice. Please continue to report this if it continues.
Reduce speeding across the beat
- The safety camera van is continually being deployed across the beat area.
- Officers have been carrying out additional speed checks in 30mph zones. Coming soon to your area!
- Abbey has been in contact with some locals who have previously shown an interest in a Community Speedwatch Scheme. The idea of this scheme is for volunteers to carry out speed checks on 30mph roads, providing advice and a deterrent to those who speed. If you are interested in knowing more about this scheme then please contact Abbey for more information.
Other incidents of note
- 02/06/14 – Theft of a Wheelie Bin – Heathlands, Penwood.
- 16/06/14 – Earlstone Common, Burghclere – Theft of a wallet from within a van parked near to the Clere School.
- 21/06/14 – A local game keeper reported suspicious activity on farm land in Ecchinswell. Vehicles have been travelling off road without permission in fields near to properties. Gates were tampered with possibly to allow re-entry to offenders after dark.
- 22/06/14 – 23/06/14 – Tampering with a motor vehicle – Wheel nuts unscrewed on the wheel of a vehicle parked at White City, Woolton Hill. It is possible that this was an attempt to take the wheel.
- 24/06/14 – Theft – Beech Road, Bishops Green – A cash box was taken from within the property of an elderly gentleman at some point throughout the day. Several reports were received about a male selling goods door to door. At this time we are seeking further lines of enquiry.
- 28/06/14 – Passenger window of a vehicle parked in The Chase was smashed, this may have been with the intention of stealing property from within.
Some ‘crimes’ are easy to solve – On the 12th a report was made stating that some boxes of flat packed garden furniture had been stolen from within the garden of a property. Very quickly, a neighbour came forward, she had some flat pack furniture awaiting collection by a well-known company. However, much to her surprise it had not been collected at the agreed time. After several calls and emails the ‘crime’ was solved. The couriers, who were clearly out of their comfort zone in a rural village, had collected the wrong boxes! Now over two weeks on, we believe the boxes are on their way back to the informant and we very much hope that this comes with an apology from the company!
No Cold Calling Zones -
Given the recent events in Bishops Green we felt it was a good time to revisit the subject of No Cold Calling Zones. The scheme is an excellent way of providing people with the confidence to turn away doorstep traders, particularly the elderly and vulnerable in our communities. Anyone can initiate the scheme; however there is an amount of leg work involved in canvassing your street or area. Please see the link below for more information.
If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact Abbey.
If you have any information regarding any of the incidents detailed in this update please contact us either by email or calling 101. If you know someone who is involved in criminal activity, have information relating to crimes that have occurred, but you do not want to call police directly.. Then please visit https://crimestoppers-uk.org/ or call 0800 555 111.This is a free and anonymous service.
Richard & Abbey
PCSO 15097 Abbey CARPENTER
Whitchurch Police Station, Dances Lane,
Whitchurch, Hampshire, RG28 7EG