Police & Crime
This is the crime summary for the month of May 2014 for the parishes of:
Ashmansworth, East Woodhay, Highclere, Burghclere, Newtown, Litchfield, Ecchinswell & Sydmonton.
Total Crimes reported – 20
House Burglary – 1 (Garage with an interconnecting door, house not entered)
Criminal Damage – 0
Thefts from sheds and outbuildings – 11
Theft from Vehicles – 7
Other Theft – 1
Other Crime – 1
The community Policing priorities for this area are:
Prevent thefts from garages, sheds and outbuildings (including theft of metal)
- 12th – 13th – Ecchinswell – Unoccupied property entered and metal stolen from within.
- 14th – 15th – Penwood – Shed break-in & lawnmower stolen
- 14th – 15th – Penwood – Garage entered, bicycle removed but later found dumped.
- 14th – 15th – Broadlayings, Woolton Hill – Garage entered & lawnmower stolen.
- 11th – 15th – Ecchinswell – Shed entered & strimmer stolen.
- 18th – 19th – Burghclere – Shed entered & hedge trimmer stolen.
- 19th – 20th – (listed as house burglary) Ecchinswell – Garage entered and bottles of wine & spirits stolen.
- 16th – 20th – Ecchinswell – Shed entered and lawnmower & loppers stolen.
- 7th – 23rd – Burghclere – Shed entered and chainsaw and strimmer stolen.
- 24th – 25th – Burghclere – Above property targeted for second time with hedge trimmer and bicycle stolen.
- 14th – 30th – Ecchinswell – Shed entered with hedge trimmer, lawnmower, leaf blower, strimmer and log splitter stolen.
- 16th – 30th – Ecchinswell – Shed entered with road bikes and ski equipment stolen.
Reduce anti-social behaviour across the beat area
- Bishops Green - Caravans were set alight on the 22nd May in a lay-by on Featherbed Lane. We received several calls about this. The council were informed the caravans needed to be removed. If anyone knows anything in relation to this incident we would be happy to hear from you.
- A group of males were reported to be causing damage to trees and causing a nuisance on the green by the park in Beech Road. Enquiries are ongoing.
- Reports of vehicles racing along the A339, any driver seen to be driving in an anti-social manner can be issued a section 59 warning, vehicles can and will be seized.
Reduce speeding across the beat
- The safety camera van is continually being deployed across the beat area.
- Officers have been carrying out additional speed checks in 30mph zones. Coming soon to your area!
Other incidents of note
- 13th – 14th – Bishops Green – 5 x vehicles broken in to overnight in the areas of Peregrine Road, Beech Road and Eagle road. Enquiries are ongoing at this time and we are still keen to hear from anyone who has any new information for us.
- 7th – 23rd – Spring Lane, Burghclere – Fuel siphoned from vehicle at premises also subject to burglary.
- 25th – 26th – Trailer stolen, Woolton Hill.
- 30th – The Council Houses, Harts Lane, Burghclere – Theft of number plates from a parked vehicle.
Burglary – Crime prevention advice
- Place all tools and garden equipment in locked sheds and garages.
- Consider if the property could be better stored elsewhere.
- Lock sheds using high quality padlocks and strong bolts. Ensure your shed is in a good state of repair and cannot be easily forced.
- Secure more expensive items, e.g. mowers, bikes to an anchor point within the shed or garage.
- Mark all items with postcode and record serial numbers. e.g. UV pens or forensic marking kits. Register the details for free on www.immobilise.com
- Take photographs of items such as statues and garden furniture if they are unusual, for easy identification at a later date.
- Fit a shed alarm.
- Keep the structure in good repair.
- Consider covering windows with curtains to obscure the view of the contents. Installing a metal grill or boarding windows can also help prevent entry via windows.
- Consider external lighting.
- Ensure the garden fences are in good repair between neighbours to prevent unlawful access.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Consider CCTV, there are a number of different types available. The majority of these offences happen at night, it is best if your camera works well in darkness.
Your local Safer neighbourhood team has access to alarmed padlocks at a price of £10. If you are interested in purchasing one please contact Abbey on the email address provided.
Between the hours of 1500 on the 25th May and 1000 on the 26th May,
offenders unknown have entered a field via the tennis club car park at
Woolton Hill. A padlock has been cut and a trailer stolen from within the
field. The trailer is distinctive, with white aluminium and a high steel bar frame.
If you have any information which may be linked to this offence then please
contact police quoting 44140184599. If you have CCTV in the area please check for any unusual activity overnight.
On Tuesday the 3rd June, an unknown male attended the address of an elderly resident, along the A343 near the junction of Church Lane, Highclere. The male claimed to be working on behalf of West Berkshire Council and was responding to a complaint about rats. The resident had no knowledge of any rat problems and was suspicious of the male. Particularly as he had no tools or poison which would suggest he was legitimate. The male was described as tall with very dark hair and an unusual thin beard which the informant described as a ‘chin strap’. The male left after approximately 20 minutes and did not carry out any work. Nothing was taken in the incident
Please contact us if you have any questions
Richard & Abbey
PCSO 15097 Abbey CARPENTER
Whitchurch Police Station, Dances Lane,
Whitchurch, Hampshire, RG28 7EG